Brother I'm Dying
Page: 100
Paragraph: 3-5
"Fortunately their tuberculosis is not active,"the doctor said, "but we have to treat them immediately to be sure it stays that way. The treatment will last six months." Does that mean I'm not going to die? I wanted to ask. My uncle's mouth narrowed into a small O. Six months of treatment meant six more months of Haiti. -further in paragraph- I simply did not want to have tuberculosis and I certainly did not want to die.
Significance:
Well on the Uncle's part he isn't thinking about her health or anything. He's thinking of the unfortunate part. Right before they we're gonna leave. Now they have to spend six more months in Haiti. We all know that none of them want to do it, but they must make sacrifice for one's health.
And on her part, she has tons of relief. Relief that she does not have tuberculosis. At this point, she doesn't care as much about leaving Haiti. She'd rather stay here and take care of her health. I think that is very smart. Her take on this is much more mature than her Uncle's.
She had cleared all the hurtles to get to America the only thing that was left was for her to pass her health exam. When she was sitting in the clinic waiting for her x-ray she saw people coughing up blood, who had tuberculosis. She would've never thought she would've been one of them.
Reaction: I think it is very mature of her that than instead of complaining about spending six more months in Haiti, she is just relieved that there is a cure, no matter how long she must spend in Haiti. The uncle wants to get out of here, not thinking about how lucky they are to have a cure for her health. I definitely would have reacted the same way she did.

0 comments:
Post a Comment